Interviews tend to be quite a bit of fun for me; this is particularly true when they take a life of their own and organically expand to a full discussion of any given topic or topics. Such was the case when I was interviewed by risk manager and martial artist Ben Cattaneo on the All Things Risk podcast this past month. In this interview I open up a bit more about my experiences, get a bit gritty and discuss some of that which is still considered taboo in the Muay Thai online space.
I also touch upon:
- My feelings on training Muay Thai in the west vs Thailand;
- My experiences training at Muay Thai gyms that didn’t promote women;
- How the best training of my life came from a guy who didn’t want to train me;
- Developing what I consider a western mind and an eastern mind and the challenges of having both at the same time;
- Identity and how culture/environment changes you;
- Power and loss of it at the personal level;
- The complexity of the interplay of cultures;
- Why I returned to Canada;
- What it felt like to fight Muay Thai;
- Living in the moment;
- Starting a website and writing about the female Muay Thai experience;
- The online Muay Thai landscape.
Hope you enjoy and as always, your comments are welcome. Additionally many thanks to Ben for having me on All Things Risk.